Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Rocker Imam of Antalya Turkey

Turkish Presidency of Religious Affairs (Diyanet İşleri Başkanlığı usually referred as simply Diyanet) has started an investigation for an Imam in Antalya Kaş for making rock music with a rock group he has founded with 2 friends. Imam Ahmet Muhsin Tüzer, probably the first Imam performing rock music in Turkey and in the world, has recently given a concert (you can watch some scenes from the concert below).

An inspector from Diyanet has arrived to Kaş (Antalya) and has talked with the official Diyanet workers and people watched the concert as well as Imam Tüzer.

"I have performed my music work without effecting my duties as an imam" said Tuzer. "I do not believe I have broken any law. I will continue my duties as an imam and my music".

Diyanet is known to be relatively open minded as it allows in vitro fertilization and birth control bills unlike many religious bodies around the world. Recently, it has allowed women to be trained as preachers and in March 2005 two women were appointed as vice-mufti in Kayseri and Istanbul. So an imam making rock music should not be a problem.



No comments:

Post a Comment